Monday, May 14, 2007

Beckett

"Hey, we came as soon as we heard." ronon sat down on the edge of Robins hospital bed.
"How are you feeling?" Teyla stood near the foot of her bed.
Robin nodded "Better. Dr. Beckett says I’ll probably be up again in a few days." she said "Hey! Can you do something for me?"
Teyla glanced at Ronon and raise an eyebrow "We will not bring your computer. Dr. Beckett says you need complete rest for a few days."
Robin rolled her eyes "I’m fine. There’s nothing else to do and it’s wasting time"
"I will bring you some books or a book of puzzles if you like." Teyla offered
"no thanks." Robin sank back down on the bed
"I must go." Teyla smiled at Robin "I will come back later, and I’ll bring something for you to do."
Robin nodded "See you later."
"Stop pouting." Ronon said
"I’m not pouting." Robin frowned "I’m just bored and I don’t see why they won’t let me have my laptop."
"You walk around with it glued to you. I think Beckett wants you to have a stress free recovery."
Robin made a face "I’m not stressed when I have my laptop, I’m focused."
"Let it go. You’re acting like a child."
"Thank you Ronon. Don’t you have somewhere to be?"
"No actually, colonel sheppard heard that you were giving Beckett a little bit of a hard time and he asked me to come down here and keep you company for a while." Ronon laughed "he seems to think you’ll listen to me."
Robin shook her head "You don’t?"
"Don’t what?"
"Think I’ll listen to you." Robin raised an eyebrow
"Will you?"
"Probably not." robin laughed
"You must be feeling better." Carson said as he came up beside the bed.
"I’d feel even better if I could have my laptop." Robin pressed
"I don’t think it would do you any good." Carson refused "You’ll do fine without it for a few days."
"It wouldn’t be a bad thing. I could even promise to leave my project alone. All I want to do is write to Jack, it’s been awhile and he’ll wonder what’s wrong." Robin insisted
Carson looked at Ronon. Ronon shrugged "I could stay for a while and make sure she doesn’t work on anything." he offered
"fine" Carson relented "But only if you’re watching her and don’t leave it with her when you go." he warned "Or I won’t let her use it in here again."
Robin grinned "Thanks doc." she said as Beckett walked off
"no problem."
Ronon stood up "I’ll go get it."

Ronon hurried through the halls to Robins room and knocked on the door. Aisha opened the door a few seconds later "Ronon. What’s up?" she asked surprised.
"I need Robins laptop." he told her
"I though she wasn’t allowed to have it."
"Doc says that if she promises not to work on it she can use it to write this Jack you two talk about." he explained as Aisha unplugged the charger and wrapped it around the computer "here you go." she handed the computer to Ronon. "Tell her I’ll be down in a couple hours." she instructed.
"Will do." Ronon set a fast pace back down to the infirmary where he knew robin was waiting impatiently for her laptop.
"Ronon?"
Ronon turned around "John."
"What re you doing?" he asked, looking at the laptop.
"Taking this down to Robin. Beckett said she could use it if she promised not to work on it." he explained "I said I would keep an eye on her for awhile to make sure she doesn’t try to work."
"What does she want with it if she can’t work on it?" John motioned for him to continue. Ronon nodded and they resumed the walk towards the infirmary.
"She wants to write this Jack of hers." Ronon raised an eyebrow "who is this jack anyways?" he asked.
"He’s their commanding officer back on Earth, also the closest thing they have to a dad." he explained "they are on a team called SG-1 together."
"Why do they write so often?" he asked
"Like I said, he’s the closest thing to a father they have and beside, when you’re on a team together you get close to people. He’s their touch with the reality they know how to deal with."
Ronon nodded "Are you going the whole way with me?" he asked as they neared the infirmary door
Sheppard shrugged "I might as well, I came this far."
Robin was sitting with her arms crossed, staring at the door. "What took you so long?" she asked ronon as he handed the laptop over to her.
"What are you talking about?" ronon asked "I was barely gone ten minutes."
"What took you ten minutes?"
"How about saying thanks?" John broke in
"Oh, hi Colonel." robin noticed him for the first time "ronon knows I’m joking."
"How are you feeling?" John asked touching one of the IVs coming out of her arm.
"I’m feeling fine, I should be up and working."
"Hey, just about everybody here would love a chance to lay around and do nothing for a few days. Take advantage of this." John encouraged
"I don’t want to rest, I want to finish and go home." she insisted "But on the bright side, I do have a chance to write Jack." she finished, noting the dark look growing on Johns face.
"About time you found something to be happy about." John stood from the seat he had taken on the edge of her bed. Robin rolled her eyes and opened her comp. "Are you leaving?" she asked as John began walking towards the door
"Yeah, I have work to do." he said " I’ll drop back by later."
Robin nodded and impatiently eyed her laptop. Ronon smiled and began unwrapping the cord.
"Can I start it up?" Robin asked, reaching for the computer.
"Yeah." Ronon handed it to her and plugged the cord into the wall"Thanks for this Ronon." Robin said as she waited for the boot up sequence to finish."
"No problem." he said "I didn’t have.
anything else to do anyways."
"Anything you want to say to Jack?"
"I don’t know Jack, why would I say anything to him?"
Robin shrugged "I don’t know. It was just an offer."
Ronon nodded "I’ll be fine watching you." he said as he positioned his chair to where he could see her screen.
Robin watched with one eyebrow raised "You’re not going to read everything I write are you?" she asked
"No, I’m just making sure you aren’t really working instead of writing."
Robin nodded "mind if I play a little music?"
Ronon shook his head "Just don’t gt us kicked out of here."
Robin didn’t reply and soon there was soft music playing
"What is that?" Ronon asked "I’ve never heard you play anything like this before."
Robin laughed "I was just checking the volume. Don’t worry...I’ll change it."
"Oh." Ronon leaned back in the chair "hey, play that song that you were playing the other day."
"Which one?" Robin looked up
"More to life?" he guessed
Robin nodded "Only if I can play ‘Stuck’ first."
Ronon shrugged "what ever."
Dread filled John as he approached the infirmary, but he had promised Ronon that he would take over after a few hours. He stopped for a moment outside the door and listened for a clue as to the attitude in the adjourning room. To his surprise, instead of stony silence or the arguments he had expected, laughter was drifting out. He opened the door and stepped inside. Robin and Ronon were holding pretend microphones and belting out a song to the enjoyment of the rest of the infirmary.


More to come. maybe

No comments: